If you are experiencing a smokey smell or burning in your home, you could have a problem with your electrical system. This can be dangerous, so you should contact a qualified electrician from Neighborhood Electric to do electrical repairs as soon as possible. A bad circuit breaker could have several factors causing trips. The most probable are overloaded circuits and extension cords. If you find this true, you need an electrician to help remove the load from overloaded wires. Another thing causing trip-ups of breaker switches is loose connections between electrical wiring and the feeder wire, the service panel, or even the ground.
If you smell smoke or burning plastic from an outlet, switch, or light fixture, shut off the power to that area immediately. Turn off the circuit breaker if you can find it, or flip the switch on the fuse box. Then call an electrician to inspect your system for problems.
If you notice that any of your home's wires are chewed or frayed, they could be shorting out and creating sparks due to loose connections with other wires or improperly installed outlets or switches. This could lead to electrical fires as well as shocks. If there are damaged wires in your home, turn off power at the main panel and call an electrician immediately to fix them before they cause further damage.
If you notice that one of your outlets is hot to the touch, it may be due to poor insulation around the wires inside your electrical box. This may not seem like a serious problem at first, but if it goes unnoticed for too long, it could cause serious injury when someone touches it while carrying something heavy (like a pot) or walking barefoot across the room.
If your lights flicker frequently or go out entirely when you flip on a switch, your wiring may have a problem. Flickering lights can be caused by loose connections between wires in your home's electrical system — which can happen over time due to wear and tear — but they could also indicate that something else is going on with your wiring.
Circuit breakers tripping frequently might mean there's a problem with your home's electrical system. If this happens often, it could indicate that one or more circuits are overloaded with too much current — which may mean that certain parts of your house are using more electricity than they should be using.
When you are working on any electrical project in your home, you must contact a licensed and insured electrician to help you with the job. A trained professional can provide information on your circuits, whether they're properly grounded, and what size wire to use for the current requirements. Working with an unlicensed individual or amateur could put you and your family at risk. Neighborhood Electric can ensure proper materials are used and installed with your electrical wiring.