electric-charge

Call This

Sunday

to Get

$35 OFF

Electrical Hazards at Home You Didn’t Know About
Electrical Hazards at Home You Didn’t Know About
August 20, 2023

Electrical Hazards at Home You Didn’t Know About

While most of us think we’ve got a good grasp on the electrical dos and don'ts, some sneaky hazards are lurking in our homes that we often overlook. At Neighborhood Electric, we enjoy helping our clients stay safe with our professional electrical repair service. If you want to ensure the same results in your home, then keep reading. This article is all about shining a light on those unnoticed risks. We'll break down why they're dangerous and how you can prevent mishaps.

Overburdened Power Strips

Power strips are super handy. They let us plug in multiple devices in one spot. But sometimes, we get a bit too enthusiastic, adding device after device, and before we know it, our power strip is working overtime. Overloading a power strip can lead to several issues:

  • Short circuits: This is when electricity takes a shortcut, which can lead to sparks or even fire.
  • Shock risks: Touching an overloaded strip might give you an unexpected jolt.
  • Device damage: Too much power can harm your favorite gadgets.

If you want to avoid overload, check your power strip’s capacity, unplug devices when you aren’t using them, and avoid daisy-chaining multiple strips together.

The Risk of Incorrect Light Bulb Wattage

Wattage, the measure of energy a bulb uses, plays an important role in ensuring the safety and efficiency of lighting in our homes. Every light fixture is crafted for a specific wattage, and mismatching can be as problematic as attempting to fit a square peg into a round hole. Using a bulb with a wattage too high for the fixture can lead to overheating, potentially causing the wires or the fixture itself to become dangerously hot. This not only shortens the bulb's lifespan but in extreme cases, poses a fire risk. To ensure you've got the right bulb for the job, always consult the fixture labels for recommended wattage. Considering LED bulbs can be a smart move too. Not only do they offer the same illumination as traditional bulbs, but they consume less energy and remain cooler to the touch. If you ever notice a bulb that feels unusually hot, it could be an indication of an unsuitable wattage.

Worn Out Cords and Plugs

Cords and plugs, much like your cherished pair of shoes, can become worn out over time. Factors such as a minor bite from a pet or an unfortunate snag in a door can compromise their integrity. The repercussions of using damaged cords are grave. Exposed wires from such cords can pose an electric shock risk to anyone who comes into contact with them. There's also the lurking danger of these compromised cords sparking and becoming a fire hazard. To prevent these issues, it's important to inspect your cords, watching for signs of fraying, exposed wires, or other damage. If you find any damage, it's wise to either replace the cord or seek professional repair.

Are You Searching for a Reliable Local Electrician?

Our homes are meant to be safe and comfy spots. But like any good homeowner, it’s up to us to ensure they remain that way. A little time spent checking your power strips, light bulbs, and cords can make a world of difference. If you’re concerned about the safety of your electrical system and would like to schedule an electrical inspection or electrical repair service, call Neighborhood Electric. Our team of specialists will be happy to answer any questions you have and can also schedule a convenient appointment with an experienced electrician in your neighborhood.